Sunday, August 20, 2006

World Games

My good friend Gaby, an attorney from Mayaguez, PR, called me the other day and told me that I was too biased on my blog, that I should be more open an less direct with my expressions. Well, its my blog… But he does have a point. I shouldn’t try to stick the sixers and team USA down people’s throats. Gaby was referring to my post on team USA. I do think that TEAM USA will win the World Basketball Tournament in Japan. I think it’s the best team and should coast through the tournament with no major problems.
Also watch for Spain and Team Puerto Rico to provide some tough competition.
I was at the Dentist’s office the other day…Rough experience… When I was in the waiting room I began to talk basketball with an old friend of my father. A great guy that played pro ball in Puerto Rico and follows the NBA a little. He said that team USA would not win because it didn’t have good big men. Is he crazy? Elton Brand, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard and last time I checked Brad Miller was still on the squad. There is no weakness at the 4 or at the 5. Then he said the usual international basketball clichés: Now the world is not afraid of the dream team and international basketball is a different game and bla, bla, bla, bla, bla. Of course the international game is different. Of course there are great international players. Of course there are the Nowitzki’s, the Nash’s and the Stojakovic’s. And yes Gaby…The Carlos Arroyo’s. But let’s face it, Melo, Wade and LeBron will bring home the gold.

USA vs PR.
I gotta say Puerto Rico, one of my Home teams and my favorite team, played a solid game. After loosing to the US in the practice game by 45 points they kept this game close and Mr. Carlos Arroyo, of the Orlando Magic showed he is a great international force. Team US played SORRY defense. The Puerto Ricans scored very easily. I hope coach K had a nice talk about that. Again.

No comments: